Friday, August 26, 2011

Totonno's


Whoever said you can't go home again lied. They lied right to your  pretty little face. They probably lied when they told you they love you or when they complimented that sweater you wore to work last week. I'm not one that looks for reasons as to why the liars lie, I just look to punch their lying mouths until the truth comes out. Why? Because the truth hurts.

So my latest and greatest Brooklyn adventure took me back to where I will always consider home, Coney Island. It was there that my mom was raised and my grandparents and great-grandparents lived when settling in this fine country. No, CI is not nearly the same place it was back in the 50's and 60's but I'm happy to say it's not nearly the dump it was when I was a kid in the 80's and 90's either. The renaissance continues with new rides, interest, and enthusiasm for the south side of BK.

They, above right, used the sauce to the left to make the masterpiece seen to the right.

There are three CI constants for the last 75+ years - Nathan's, the Cyclone, and Totonno's. Totonno's is a really small, unassuming pizzeria located on Neptune Ave near W. 16th. If you're not really looking for it, you may not find it - unless the line is out the door, then you know where to go. Since 1924, Totonno's has been serving up a premier, thin-crust, Margherita style pizza. Everything here is fresh. The sauce is perfection in sauce form.

You owe it to yourself to go here and eat this true NY Legend. Why it's not mentioned more in all the "Best Pizza in NY" talk is beyond me but maybe they should start asking people who know a thing or two about pizza. I've had almost all of the so-called best and this is better than most.

Rating - 5/5 - Maybe there's a hint of nostalgia and pride added in here but there's absolutely nothing bad to say about pizza that is perfectly made, fresh to order, and sold only as a pie. Trust me, even YOU can eat one of these pies. Just wear your sweatpants and go eat it on the boardwalk.

Their site - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Totonnoss-Pizza/154759914566822

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment