Saturday, August 27, 2011

Matt's Bar

Matt's Bar - Exterior Sign
On the road..Minneapolis, MN (aka MPLS)
Today we're on the road in MPLS - home of the Twins, Vikings, Atmosphere, Target, the T'Wolves, TARGET, the Mall of America, Fifth Element, and most importantly the Jucy Lucy. Ironically, while I did see the homes of the Twins, Vikings, and T'wolves plus the Mall of America during my recent jaunt to the Twin Cities, I did not see one Target. Disbelief aside, my mission was food and it was mission accomplished. Oh and there's an NHL team called the Wild that calls MPLS home too.

Traveling up and down the light rail brought me to a number of places I absolutely had to try but the one place I enjoyed the most was actually an accident. I knew of the "Jucy Lucy" prior to my arrival in the Twin Cities however, I did not know just where I wanted to get one. That, my friends, is where fate comes in. I was waiting for the 22 bus and I was just chattin' it up with the bus driver. Destination - unknown. Fortunately, his route took me to Matt's Bar and at his urging, and the urging of another passenger, Matt's was a can't miss. Can't miss means must do so I did it and WOW! For followers of my tumblr you have seen the pics posted from Matt's, featuring the Jucy Lucy I enjoyed there. What I have for those who do not know is video of my Jucy Lucy Experience, behold:


Legend has it that a customer didn't want a run in the mill burger or cheeseburger so he had them form two patties and stuff cheese in the middle. The Jucy Lucy was born and it's been a hit ever since. Having this still of burger is a must in the Midwest. Visiting Matt's, where the burger was born just takes the experience to another level. Mine was enjoyed with some chopped onion and a pickle and I wish I was there right now to have another, and another, and maybe one more for the road.

As I was eating this and the cheesy goodness burned my hand, I could not help but wonder if Slug of Atmosphere was referring to this Lucy on their hit F&%K You Lucy because I know it was on my mind...


Rating - 5/5 - concept, nostalgia, and freshly cooked deliciousness. 

Their site - http://www.mattsbar.com/

For more visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and don't forget to follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment