Friday, August 26, 2011

Big Daddy's

Big Daddy's Menu
Big Daddy's, located on Columbus and 91st, is a retro themed diner that in my opinion is on the map for the Sweet Potater Tots. The retro theme is complimented with Trivial Pursuit cards on each table and a funky wallpaper that spans no specific generation, featuring logos/icons from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Sure they offer a handful of extra large burgers and a number of homemade shakes as well but since Napoleon Dynamite made tots all the rage, they're a menu must. Making sweet potatoes into tots is just taking things up a few notches and that's something that needs to be recognized.

Big Mac Daddy
In eateries that serve sweet potato fries, I'm one to ask for maple syrup to dip them in. Sometimes that will result in some odd looks for the wait staff but I'm very used to odd looks. Big Daddy's, however, serves their Sweet Potater Tots with a homemade, over the top, spicy and not sweet at all BBQ sauce for dipping and it is NOT a good pairing for me. The sauce is strong and not complimentary to the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and that's just a mistake. For a look at their menu, click here.
Half Eaten Big Mac Daddy
The big burgers, are cooked to order from fresh meat and served with tots. Be warned!! Do not ask to sub in the Sweet Potater Tots for regular tots because Big Daddy will draw the line and you'll be put in your place. I've been told "We can't do that." In the food service business, focus on the word service, there's no such thing as can't. Want the sweet tots? Spend an extra $6. I was seething at this one because it's just absurd. The last thing I need is tots and more tots to go with my burger. I sorta worry about my waistline sometimes and I think I should pay some attention to my cholesterol so getting more fried treats, no matter if they're trans-fat free or not, seems like a not so hot idea. Add that to the fact that it's nice 'n' greasy for my complexion and we've got a winning combo.
Infamous Sweet Potater Tots
But you are saying, this is a burger site, where's the burger review? Here it is. I recently visited and ordered the Big Mac Daddy burger - their take on the Big Mac minus one patty and one slice of bread while adding caramelized onions. The burger holds up really well and has nice flavor, with or without all the added toppings. The bun is a good size to hold the large slab of beef piled on top of it while soaking up the burger's juices nicely.

Rating - 3.75/5 - No subbing sweet potater tots with a $15 burger and forcing the customer to spend an extra $8 on this signature item? Foolish. The burger is good and a bit on the high side. At $15 (not including a drink, sides, etc.) you are creeping in on Olde Homestead or Minetta Tavern territory and this is not on the level with those. It's a good burger, not the best burger but the no subbing really does rub me the wrong way.

Their site - http://www.bigdaddysnyc.com/

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment