Friday, August 26, 2011

Brennan and Carr


A Brooklyn Classic...
There are huge rivalries all around NYC, typically dealing with sports teams and there are very few that sit on the fence and root for both. It's one or the other. You like the Yankees and hate the Mets. You like the Giants and hate the Jets. You could care less about the Knicks but you still hate the Nets. Rivalries truly do make the things we enjoy that much more enjoyable because we want our favorite to be the best. There are two sandwich giants in BK, most famous for the roast beef offerings, and many people are loyal to either Brennan and Carr or Roll N Roaster (featured here)

As a kid I did what you call the Brooklyn shuffle, moving five times over a span of seven years while being fortunate enough to remain in the same general area. During my most formative years (read rapid growth) I had the luxury of living 4 blocks from Roll N Roaster yet had to take a bus that transferred right in front of Brennan and Carr**

Brothy Goodness
What's a boy to do? I mean, everyone had their favorite and I honestly could not choose. This was not some Mets-Yankees scenario unfolding, this was food. Great food. And great food is one thing I never deprive myself of, in case you hadn't noticed. Since I'm not comparing who has the better roast beef sandwich (I'll save that for another day) I have to go based on burgers. In the burger fight, however,  B&C doesn't quite play fair.

Hard to tell how soaked the bun is.
YES, you can buy their beef burger and be fairly satisfied at their offering OR you can play it smart and order the Gargiulo Burger, have the pour beef broth on it and know that they just did to burgers what should have been done a LONG time ago. The Gargiulo is listed there on the menu and if you don't know and don't ask what it is, you're missing out. But now, you're armed with knowledge that you need to get this burger (NOT cooked to order) topped with delicious, hot roast beef, cheese (optional) and then the bun is smothered in broth. Let it sit a while and have some fun poking the bun to watch broth seep out. This is a heavenly sandwich. It's pricy too but nobody said heaven would be cheap.
I'm a burger with roast beef on top

Rating - 4.5/5 - This is just such an impressive burger/sandwich. Yes it's kinda cheating to add it here but NYC is loaded w/specialty burgers and this is one of the best.

**Editor's Note - While I did take the B3 to the B36 when I knew a sandwich from B&C was in order, there was an "easier" way to get home via the B49 and I tell you this in an effort of full disclosure.

Their site - http://brennanandcarr.kpsearch.com/df/default.asp

For more visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and don't forget to follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys  

No comments:

Post a Comment