Friday, August 26, 2011

BRGR

BRGR w/onion strings
Once upon a time I was coerced into going to Hill Country BBQ to see what all the hype was about. Rumors of meat flown in from Texas had me shaking my head side to side (that's a no good for all those who think it's opposite day.) After arriving at HC, we were told there was "like an hour wait" which translates to "get outta here b/c even though there's 7-8 empty tables right behind me, we're not feeding you." I wait for nothing!! Except maybe Halley's Comet, coming back to us in a mere 50 years.

So, leaving Hill Country all dejected and angry, I drift my way to some street where there were cars and people and some fancy lights. I was SO hungry I was about to just lay down in the street and rest when I was coerced, again, to try something I wasn't too keen on. This time, it was:

Friend - Let's try that burger place!
Me - You sure that's a burger place?
Friend - What else could it be?
Me - Not sure but I don't know what a BRGR is. Maybe they saved money on the sign by dropping two letters?

Now I know that misspelling things is trendy with the advent of text messaging (or txt if it makes you feel better) and the like but let's be serious. BRGR? Why not just call it BURGER? It seems to me that the latter makes more of a statement, albeit a bit cave-manish but look what that did for GEICO.

The hostess/order taker was VERY friendly. Maybe the most friendly person ever. But the poor girl did not ask me how I wanted my burger, er BRGR, cooked. Why not I wondered? They know what's best? They're smarter than me? Or do they just know what I want? Maybe that's it. So I stared at her intently, trying to pass my idea of a rare burger, BRGR, to her brain through our eyes. Did it work? HAHAHA silly rabbit, of course not. I got a thin, McDonalds sized (In-n-Out sized for the West-siders out there) BRGR with some other slop on top (they called it roquefort cheese and onions.) OK, OK, maybe the patty was slightly thicker than a typical McD's burger but it surely was hidden beneath all the additions.

Why you should avoid this place - for starters, they can't spell "burger." Let that serve as the first sign that you are about to embark on a bad adventure. Next, the prices!?!? For serious? $10 for a burger that is as small as something that McD's churns out for 1/10 of the price? Ok, truth be told, Ronald aint slingin' no Roquefort on his offerings but $9 for bleu cheese and some grilled onions is stupid, even for me.

The trio? A heaping of fried onion strings, sweet potato fries, and french fries for $4 seems like a good deal. Until you get it. The SP fries were just plain horrible - thin, overdone, lacking flavor. The fries were rather salty (but I'm not much of a salt aficionado so maybe the amount of salt is good for you), and the onion strings left a lot to be desired.

The black n white shake is the saving grace but spending $5.50 on a 16oz shake is somewhat fair but not enough to get this pony boy to come back in their stable.


Rating - 1.5/5 Conceptually sound but the flaws were there to make me not want to venture back. Especially for the price. Dropping nearly $20 for 2 burgers and fries? If I want to eat a small, overdone burger and pay a high price for it, there's always Blue 9 or Shake Shack.

Care to guess where I'm reviewing next?

Their site - http://www.brgr.com/

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment