Friday, August 26, 2011

Croxley Ales

Croxley Ales Front
What started as a quest for a SICK wing special ended up being a quest for an even SICKER burger. For those not in the know, Croxley Ales on Ave. B (near 3rd) is the home of the 10 cent wings (Mon-Wed). I arrived as a skeptic for a couple of reasons - 1) that's too good to be true 2) the wings must be as tiny as popcorn chicken 3) there's gotta be a catch, there's ALWAYS a catch. Much to my surprise, this was not too good to be true, the chicken wings were big, not Dallas BBQ BIG but still a big wing, and there is no catch. Well, not really. If you consider buying a minimum of 15 wings a catch, well then they got you! Buy 15 and spend a buck fifty or ELSE! The wings alone are worth the voyage. Heck, the wings are worth more than they're charging but I am NEVER going to complain about wanting to pay more for something. Great wings at an even better price and the place is loaded with TVs to watch the game, TMZ, Golden Girls, whatevs.

But you're saying, what about this burger you speak of. Welllllll kids, lemme tell you about this burger known as "The What The S*?!" burger which is your typical 8oz burger with lettuce, tomato, and onion.

You say, "What's the big deal DJ?"
I say, "There's no bun!" 
You say, "Carb conscious all of the sudden?"
I say, "Nope, who needs a bun when you can put this burger between not 1, but 2 grilled cheese sandwiches?"
You say, "I wish I was your cardiologist b/c your heart's gotta blow sooner, not later."
I just laugh in your face.

Croxley Wings!
Now there are a number of other wild concoctions on the burger front and I promise to do more burgers and less wings next time so that I can maybe tame a pair of wild beasts (the Triple Threat - topped w/bacon, cheddar, pulled pork and the Mac Daddy - topped w/Mac N Cheese come to mind). The waitress was kinda rooting against me finishing my burger, said she's only seen 1 person do it and eat all the fries. I told her I don't eat fries and she rolled her eyes. My boy stands up and says "dude at 15 wings" she seemed apathetic. I'll show her. One day she'll be proud of me.
The What the Burger!

On the real though, the burger is kinda flavorless. Maybe it was flavor overload? Maybe I was in a state of delirium with all the chickens and grilled cheesy goodness running through my system. But if I use some ketchup, the burger definitely needed some help when there was no more lettuce, tomato, or onion to save it. Sorry Louis, I didn't mean to do it!

Rating - 4/5 - this is a big burger, needs some flavor. Meat was fresh, not frozen. Cooked to perfection so I can't complain. But with all the options, I feel like I'm rating one and Croxley deserves a better fate because the burgers are stand out and the wings are spectacular!

Their site - www.croxley.com

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment