Friday, August 26, 2011

Island Burgers and Shakes

Looks are deceiving. Deceptively deceiving sometimes. From the outside, Island Burgers has a small and rather modest appearance which does not foreshadow what you are about to encounter on the inside. Island Burgers and Shakes are yet another burger/shake spot in NYC. Unavoidable, I know but I comprehend it better than the burger/shake/cupcake craze that's trending on the NYC streets. Put a burger on a cupcake and you have me as your brand new BFF but you decide to bake those too b/c you know that the $4 cupcake is a trendy little snack on the NYC streets, shame on you cupcake cooker. Or baker. Whatever.

Back to IBS, their menu is simply amazing. There are so many options, each coming with different toppings, seasoning, etc. Did I mention that you can have any of the burgers as either a hamburger or a grilled chicken sandwich? Not a bad deal if you are craving a delicious, juicy, big burger and have a friend that's more into chicken. The complete menu can be found here and locals can use it to place orders for delivery.

Bourbon Street
At left, you can see the inside of a perfectly cooked RARE burger. At right, you can see the Bourbon Street burger, featuring a blackened burger patty, jack cheese, sauteed onions, and bacon.

I had two issues with the burger and that's going to hurt my overall review. Issue 1 - the bacon was cold. Not room temperature, not sorta warm, but cold. It was obviously cooked earlier and then just sat around and was not even heated prior to climbing on top of my burger. That was a bit of a bummer b/c I ended up eating the bacon separately and wanted it on this burger. Issue 2 - the sourdough was a nice, different touch. There are a number of bread/bun options there and again, that's a HUGE plus. I didn't ask if I could select a different bread but I am sure I could have. After eating it, I can say that I wasn't a fan of this pairing as the bread was a little too large and the crust was just kinda out there and out of place. Not bad, just out of place.

Rating - 4.75/5 - The variety of food here should be enough to keep me coming back for more and I'd surely recommend it to you too! The burgers are big, cooked to perfection, and have lots of flavor. Have you been here? What's your favorite?


For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment