Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Candlelight Inn

I'll preface this by saying this is not going to be a review, not a formal review anyway. For quite some time I've heard great things about the Candlelight Inn in Scarsdale, specifically their wings. I was in the area last week taking my mom to the doctor and I suggested that we try the Candlight for a late lunch/early dinner. It's not every day I'm in Scarsdale so this just had to happen.

Upon arrival, I checked in on Foursquare and my friend Nick hits me up and simply asks, "Chernobyl?" I answer in the affirmative and he replies "You could have just come over to my place and I would have stabbed you in the tongue." I laughed for a while and debated leaving to go get stabbed in the tongue, after all you need a baseline to determine which of these things feels worse.

Chernobyl
I knew what I wanted but for some reason, the waitress didn't believe. Or maybe it was she didn't want to serve me? Or most likely, she just didn't want to see this grown man cry. I asked for an order of 10 wings, Chernobyl. She said, "Are you sure?" Yes I'm sure. She asked again, "Why don't you just get hot wings? I can bring you some Chernobyl sauce on the side." I replied, "No thanks, I want Chernobyl." She said, "You really sure? They're so hot. 98% of the people who order them can't eat them." Yes, I'm sure.

All this talk made my mouth water. I LOVE hot food and was ready to take on these wings that share their name with a Russian nuclear disaster. Deep down, I never did question whether or not I can finish the ten wings. My own stupidity would not allow me to stop short of finishing the heat these wings could deliver. I must say these wings are HOT! They are possibly the 2nd hottest wings* I've ever eaten and my physiological reaction spoke volumes - uncontrollable tearing, sweating, red swollen lips. However, as strange as it may seem, my mouth did not feel hot. It sounds crazy and it's hard to explain but these things are so hot but it was not unbearable.  More important than the heat is the size. For under $7 I got 10 wings and look at the size of them. Big, meaty, juicy and NOT fried.

If you enjoy hot wings I'd suggest the Candlelight Inn to you. If you want to push how high you can go on the Scoville Scale, go for Chernobyl and let me know what you think.

*Note - The hottest wings I've ever eaten were at a spot just outside of Boston. I challenged that place to make them as hot as possible and when I bit into the first wing it felt like I was kicked in the teeth and my mouth went numb.

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment