Friday, December 30, 2011

Dunn-Gaherin's

Dubliner - Ham, Cheese, Egg Salad with home made slaw
On the road...Newton, MA
Nestled in the Boston suburb of Newton, MA is Dunn-Gaherin's, an Irish Pub that has one of the best burgers I've had all year. While I was trying to figure out how Dunn-Gaherin's, which is located not far from where I once lived, has eluded me for the past decade-plus, I got excited at the prospects of finding a new burger spot in a very familiar neighborhood.

I browsed the menu and found the perfect burger for me, the Dubliner. Going full throttle in showing off my Irish Pride, the Dubliner was calling me like a stalker at 3am. Smokehouse ham, cheddar cheese, and egg salad?!? I've never seen a pairing like this before and I cannot tell you just how good this burger is and it's all because of the house-made egg salad.

It's important to point out that the sirloin was fresh, not frozen and it was cooked to perfection. Rare and pink and delicious. The size of the bun is on point. It's the perfect amount of dough to hold this burger up but not be overwhelming. And the egg salad. Wow! Who knew? I'd also like to point out that the home made slaw was really, really good. I was somewhat forced into the slaw because everything I read told me that I had to try the eggplant fries and sho' 'nuff I was there on an afternoon where they were all out of eggplant fries. It worked out for the best, I think, because this slaw was on point and I'd order a bowl of that on any future visit.
Rare. Perfect!

I'd also point out that the staff was amazing and they deserve a thumbs up as well! To get great food and amazing service is unfortunately not as common as it should be. I'd also love to point out this little anecdote. When the manager saw my burger, she actually intercepted it to confirm that I wanted such a rare burger. I told her it was perfect for me and I was so happy that they got it right. You'd be amazed at how many of the "best" burger joints cannot seem to cook a rare burger, rare.

Rating - 5/5 - Just on the Dubliner alone it's a perfect score. Add the staff to the mix and it might be a 10!

Their site - http://www.dunngaherins.com/index.html and their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dunn-Gaherins/55743493327?ref=search

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and follow us on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment