Monday, September 5, 2011

Pizzeria Regina

Pizzeria Regina - 11 1/2 Thacher
On The Road...Boston, MA
Look up "best pizza Boston" and you'll find Regina at or near the top of every list in beantown. I took my brother along for this trip, more like he took me along as he drove me to the North End to indulge my pizza cravings. I had a long list of places at which we should eat and Regina was definitely on the list. Before I get too deep into my review, I really could care less if the staff has a bit of an attitude and that's their little gimmick. I get it, that's fine. I've been to enough places like that and can handle it. Besides, I could care less how nasty the staff is if the food is good.

Pizzeria Regina - Pepperoni Slice

The food, the pizza. Pizzeria Regina's staple item for North Enders since 1926. Regina serves a big slice. A greasy slice. A relatively bland slice that lacks flavor, crunch, and that special something that makes me want to go back for more.

My brother had a very similar reaction. He was not impressed with the pizza and was kinda let down. We've shared a number of great slices together at my home in NY and his home in MA. Focusing on just the MA pizzerias we've hit up, Regina did not live up to top billing, not even top five and I've cleared a good chunk of the most recent top 20 from boston.com

But if we want to go into their attitude, if you've been there you'll know that at the end of the bar there's a tiny triangle of counter space that is barely bigger than the pepperoni slice pictured above. I was standing right there, out of the way and they were insistent that I "move by the red bucket" since our food was ordered to go. Over and over and over they demanded I move. I was confused to say the least and I moved to the red bucket, at which point they finally handed us our food, guaranteeing that we would not eat inside the pizzeria. 

Rating - 2.75/5 - the pizza was average. I did enjoy the taste of the slight char from the brick oven. However, it was really greasy, not just the pepperoni )which is inevitably greasy) but the plain slice was greasier than Elvis' hair.

Their site - http://www.pizzeriaregina.com/

For more, please visit 5boroughfoodguys.tumblr.com and don't forget to follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/5BoroFoodGuys

No comments:

Post a Comment